Hello from NOLA! We still can’t believe that this year is year 5, but we are loving every minute like it was our first!!! It has been so amazing seeing so many familiar faces as well as so many grown up kids! They keep getting bigger!
This week we have 2 camps running at the same time. One is back at our home away from home, Canal Street Presbyterian Church. The second camp is across the river at a new location, Second Zion Baptist Church. Canal is almost full while Second Zion’s numbers keep growing each day. Our teams consist of our original crew as well as some college students joining us for the first time. It is a ton of fun and it is neat hearing about everyone’s daily experiences. I hope some of them will be sharing those experiences with you this week!
As for me (Chris), this week I am manning our camp at Canal Street as the Site Director. I must say that I really LOVE my job. A lot of people think that because I am not “teaching” that I am really not having as much fun….But here are some things I really enjoy about my job:
1) Being at the sign-in table: This has to be one of the best part of my day because I get to see EVERY kid that comes to camp in the morning and afternoon. I get to see how they have changed over the past year (or years), I am reminded of the stories from the past of each kids we have worked with, I get to speak with parents that I know, and best of all see smiling faces as they arrive and leave camp. I love hearing how much fun they had at camp and how they can’t wait until the next day.
2) Watching the kids learn and try: It is so wonderful and rewarding to see all of these kids try something new! It is so exciting when they are trying so hard and they succeed. It is also exciting to watch them become so determined to succeed that they never stop trying.
3) Watching our teachers teach: I feel like I learn so much from all of our teachers. It is amazing watching them do what they do and I am so glad to be supporting them in this. I just hope that I make their day a little easier as they are bringing so much joy to my day.
4) Organization: Yea everyone knows it, I LOVE organization! I enjoy spending my day organizing meals, organizing schedules, organizing art supplies, organizing EVERYTHING! It makes me happy because I enjoy the process of organizing. Random I know….
5) Problem Solving: Yes, there are many different types of problems that occur at camp. It is a challenge to solve them and I do enjoy being challenged.
6) Being able to go to every class: While I may not stay for an entire class, I at least get to check out every class. I love popping in to encourage the kids, take pictures or video, or get my groove on for 5 minutes. I enjoy having the ability to move around and take it all in.
Well there are many more reasons why I love my job, but those are just a few. Our theme this week is reflection and it is nice to reflect on why I do this. What we are doing for these kids is so important and I feel honored that I have the opportunity to be a part of the whole process.